Any situation where someone is forced into unwanted, unsafe, or degrading sexual activity, even by a spouse or intimate partner, is sexual abuse.
Sexual abuse includes forcing sexual acts, hurting someone during sexual acts, lying about contraception, unwanted sexual contact and using sexually degrading language.
Some signs of sexual abuse are:
- Forcing someone to have sex when they don’t want to
- Forcing someone to perform sexual acts when they don’t want to
- Refusing to practice safe sex
- Withholding sex and affection
- Demanding sex
- Criticising/discounting feelings regarding sex
- Sexual name-calling
- Taking sexual images of someone then sharing – or threatening to share them – without their consent, often called revenge porn
- Making inappropriate sexual comments that make others feel uncomfortable
If you or someone you know is in an abusive relationship and you don’t know what to do, please contact us. We will listen and we can help.
Doncaster Domestic Abuse Hub – 01302 737080
IDAS Barnsley – 03000 110 110
IDAS Sheffield – 0808 808 2241
Rotherham Rise – 0330 2020571
National 24 Domestic Abuse Helpline – 0808 2000 247
If there is immediate danger, please call 999, or 101 to report an incident of domestic abuse.
To download these leaflets for printing please click on this link – Domestic Abuse Campaign – A5 Leaflets